Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday 13 June 09

This morning I woke up and it was such a beautiful day outside... The sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky and the lake sparkled like it was glistened with thousands of sparkilng diamonds... What a way to wake up!! It was pure magic and rendered me speechless... The beauty around me ceases to amaze me! I love Taupo -- sooo much!! Its a beautiful place to live!!

I watched this amazing movie this morning called, 'The Unexpected Journey'.... Have you seen it? Ohh... I'm going to have to tell my sister about it... Its got a very young Zach Efron in it (the star of the 'High School Musical' moves... tween call?! hehe)... But seriously... He acted it incredibly well... All the kids that played the twins growing up did... Its not easy to play an autistic child... I'm sure!!! OK, Ill tell you a bit about it... Its a true story based on the devastation a mother experiences when her 2 twin boys are diagnosed with Autism (in the 80's??) and shes basically given no hope... Its a powerful movie on the unconditional love she has and how she fights for them and overcomes the obstacles with them, eventually setting up the 'Autism Awareness Society'... The kids acting the twin boys as they grow up is incredible for such young kids... right down to facial expressions... I certainly enjoyed it and recommend it... I love any movie that portrays a true life story or event!!

We had family stay last night which was a lot of fun and today is quiet... Ive done some more study and computer work which has been great - getting closer and closer to finishing!!

 My poor wee sister is soo sick... She was staying at a friends last night when mum received a txt early this morning asking her to come get her --- and bring towels!! Poor bubba has been throwing up with fevers and chills, aches and pains and generally feeling miserable... I hate it when shes sick... But she hasn't been sick like this for a long time.... She has started asking for food though... so that's a positive sign... Hopefully it will stay down! Shes curled up in Mum and Dads bed watching Sky (cable) TV and sleeping on and off... Hopefully it is just a 24 hour thing!! Shes got the better immune system of us kids - normally - lol....

This week is looking slightly quieter than the past 4 so we will hope and see how it evolves... You never know but we might get a relatively quiet week appointments and assessments wise... I mean we got physio, psychology, the doctor and WINZ... (haha, yes that's a quiet week at the moment) but hopefully no big assessments this week or much travelling! How novel??!! lol hehe.....

Well, we are planning a quiet afternoon and evening with yummy homemade chicken and vegetable soup tonnight! YUM!
Hope your day is treating you well, you are in my prayers... 
Each one of you... Love Kylee xxx

Life Changing Experiences

We touch the lives of others in ways we often never know. People sometimes come into our personal world for fleeting moments and can leave us forever changed. We have more power to create or to destroy than we can imagine. We can leave things or individuals better or worse than we found them. A look, a word, a gesture has tremendous impact and frequently we blither along through our existence unaware of the mighty power that our communication wields.
Here's an example:
It was a rainy, humid day: the mother of all bad hair days. I was riding on a bus downtown to go to work. The windows on the bus were covered in condensation so thick you couldn't see outside. Everyone was wilting. I was sitting next to a man in a business suit and didn't pay much attention until we both got off at the same stop and walked to the same newsstand to get a morning paper.
The man running the stand was obviously having a bad day. He was rude, abrupt and unsmiling as we purchased our papers, which served to only add more gloom to my day. The businessman caught my eye and smiled. He then proceeded to smile brightly, thank the newsstand proprietor for the paper and for being open on such a morning to make sure we were able to get our papers. In short, he expressed his appreciation for something most of us would take for granted.
The man running the newsstand responded only with a grunt and a sour expression. The businessman then pleasantly wished him a pleasant day.
As we turned away, I asked this man why he had continued to be pleasant to the newsman when he obviously didn't care about and didn't respond to his expression of appreciation and friendliness. The businessman grinned at me and said, "Why would I let someone else control what I say and what I feel or what kind of day I'm going to have?"
We then separated to go to our respective work places. To this day, I don't know who that business man was, where he worked, or anything else about him. I never saw him again, even though I looked for him on the bus on other days. He appeared briefly in my life and disappeared just as quickly. I don't even remember what he looked like. But I've never forgotten the words he said or the way his smile seemed like a shaft of light on a gloomy day.
That was a good 25 years ago, but the impact this had on my life has lasted. I never had a chance to thank him personally, but the way in which I try to choose to look at life as a result of those words is his legacy to me and my thanks to him.
Our interactions with the people we encounter can impact at least the next five people that person encounters. A smile and words of simple appreciation multiply themselves geometrically.
We cannot control people and situations that come to us, but we can always control our response to them. And in such positive decisions lie our control and personal power to make a positive difference. And it's something anyone and everyone can do. It is a real legacy that can impact both the present and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment